After subscribing to /r/glitch_art, I wanted to see what I could do by corrupting an image on purpose.

The original picture I took a few years ago.

Process

I opened the image in GIMP and saved it as an uncompressed TIFF file so that I would have the raw bytes of the image. Then I opened it as U-Law-encoded raw data in Audacity.

As long as I didn’t edit the headers (the ends of which were indicated by a small quiet blip) or change the length of the audio, GIMP had no difficulty opening the new file, exported as uncompressed U-Law-encoded raw audio and renamed from .aiff to .tiff.

Effects

  • Amplify
  • Bass/Treble adjustment
  • Fade In/Out
  • Invert
  • Reverse
  • Noise reduction
  • Phaser

Results

1 2
3 4 5
6 7